A Very Large Project

I’m not entirely sure when I started this project, I’m sure I could go through some history on Facebook to find out but I know it was last month.

One day while reading some posts in a Modern Quilting group on Facebook, I came across someone’s photo of a Super Mario Bros. quilt they made. I thought it was awesome. She then told me that she has a pattern made up I could use. I was super excited. After reviewing her pattern, I realized I could easily make almost anything with the same concept. Since it was based on a classic Nintendo game, I thought I could make one based on my favorite game, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

I did some research to see of someone had already made one or if there was a pattern. I did find one quilt that someone made but there was no pattern I could find. So I decided to continue with my idea. I did make sure to change it from the quilt I saw on Etsy though.

Designing it wasn’t difficult. I used Excel since all I had to do was color in the squares and then use a formula to count how many of each color was needed.

After everything was complete with the excel sheet, I went to town cutting squares….lots and lots of squares, over 5000 total. All of them measuring 1.5 inches.

2014-03-12 12.44.35

I paced this out since I know it would have cost a large amount if I were to buy all the fabric at once. Cutting fabric took a couple of weeks because of this.

When I started posting photos to the quilting group on Facebook, I was lucky that someone was kind enough to tell me about a simpler way to sew all the little squares together. I don’t know if there is a name to the method but it includes using fusible interfacing. All I have to do is lay out the squares in the correct order on the interfacing and iron it on. Then fold over and sew where the seams would be. It has been a huge help. Ironing is the part that’s the most cumbersome. Some many seams to press open and burnt fingertips. I wonder if my iron hates me yet.

2014-03-12 13.38.05

It’s coming along slowly but a lot faster than piecing each square individually.

Here are some photos of the progress.

2014-03-15 16.48.09 2014-03-17 21.08.47 2014-03-17 21.09.08 2014-03-18 18.50.37 2014-03-20 21.24.27 2014-03-21 16.27.13

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “A Very Large Project

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s